On 11 December 2017, Schools were invited to apply to the Department of Education and Skills to take Physical Education as a full, examinable Leaving Certificate subject.
Two new curriculums for physical education at senior cycle will be introduced from September 2018:
- Leaving Certificate Physical Education (optional subject for examination in the Leaving Certificate)
- The Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework (not for examination).
Phase 1 of the implementation process will involve a small cohort of schools who have the capacity to introduce Physical Education as a Leaving Certificate subject and/or the Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework in September 2018.
Schools can apply by completing the Phase 1 School Selection survey. The closing date for applications is 16 January 2018.
It is anticipated the Phase 1 cohort of schools will be selected and notified by the end of January, 2018.
The specification for Leaving Certificate Physical Education and the Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework can be viewed on www.curriculumonline.ie
Leaving Cert Physical Education – Frequently Asked Questions
Students will choose three physical activities in three categories out of six –
- Personal Exercise and Fitness
- Artistic and aesthetic activities
- Adventure – SAILING is one of the options here, which is fantastic.
More information on Irish Sailing article here.